Based in: Finland
Media: Cross Discipline, Painting, Photography, Public Space, Sculpture / Installation
Content: Abstract, Architectural, Conceptual
I’m a 33 years old Master of Fine arts. I ́ve graduated from Academy of fine arts Helsinki, and also studied in Universität der Künste Berlin. My work is based on painting and it’s tradition, yet in realisation I utilise many different sorts of materials and self developed techniques. In some works the paint as material is substituted with industrial tape, in others I ́ve built a structure out of corrugated cardboard and corrugated iron as for the canvas.
The material I use forms partly the content of the work, and often gives an impulse for the visual motif. My work often deals with sublime considered phenomenons and matters through everyday, perhaps even trivial like notions.
I ́ve also worked in co-projects where the boundaries of different art forms have been mixed and stretched, and also have been looking for different kind of platforms for presenting my work. I ́ve worked on productions with the Helsinki student theatre and dancer/coreographist Maija Mustonen. I ́ve also curated two group shows in squatted alternative spaces in Helsinki.
My recent solo exhibitions have been in Kluuvi Gallery (Helsinki Art Museum) 2012, Sinne gallery 2014 and Galleri Blunk (Trondheim, Noway) 2015. At the moment i ́m working on my solo exhibition for gallery Anhava (Helsinki, may 2016). My works are included in collections such as Helsinki Art Museum, Finnish State, Finnish art association and Piippo Collection.
Share via email
Share via Facebook
1. "Untitled". The Blue Cross Flag of Finland as the pre image, silver and black duct tape as materials. From Kluuvi gallery exhibition. 165 x 268 cm x 1 mm.
These tape paintings are made out of tape only. Each stripe of tape is covering a slight area of the previous stripes edge, attaching to it with it ́s own glue. A piece built like this, stripe by stripe on top of a large board or a table is then carefully ripped off it and a transparent acrylic glue is spread on the backside to kill the stickiness of the tape.
2. 4 x "Untitled", 121 x 170 cm x 1 mm each. Silver, black, white and transparent duct- and packing tape. A reference to the strictly defineed geometrical forms of costructivism can be seen in the choice of tape as material of these paintings.
3. View from a squat group exhibition I curated in Helsinki, 2011
4. Detail (the Helsinki Cathedral) enlarged from a postcard. Xerox copy on paper(s), put together and coated with brown packing tape. 100 x 70 cm.
5. The flag theme, here with the “image” removed, or four white squares floating on the wall. Corrugated cardboard glued on corrugated iron, high gloss alkyd paint. 200 x 280 x 5 cm, In four pieces.A two piece frottage (graphite pen rubbing on paper). I ́ve been making a series of these out in the city space out of its infrastructure, it ́s details and surfaces.
5. Small gray monochrome, 32 x 28 x 5 cm. Corrugated cardboard glued on corrugated iron, high gloss alkyd paint.
6. Detail of a large painting on cardboard-iron canvas (with aloud and spray paint). The materials of works 4 and 5 can be better viewed through this picture. The slight effect of optical wavering is lost from the original works in the pictures.
8. A two piece frottage (graphite pen rubbing on paper). I ́ve been making a series of these out in the city space out of its infrastructure, it ́s details and surfaces.
9. Untitled drawing, mixed media, 150 x 150 cm.
10. Selection of artists ́ books from different years. Each book contains from one to about a hundred drawn/mixed media pages. I´ve started a project in whoch I work on the books together with other artists also.